Sunday, August 15, 2010

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie


One thing I missed when I first went vegetarian was comfort foods. Meatloaf, chicken noodle soup, beef stew, chili; all of these I had though were long gone from my menu....til I started experimenting. Here's an old fashioned recipe that will always satisfy.
Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie

1 pkg sloppy joe mix (I prefer Simply Organic)
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package mock meat crumbles (I prefer Quorn Grounds, vegan alternative: Boca Ground Crumbles)
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 cup fresh peas
5 medium potatoes, cubed with skin
1 can tomato paste
1/2 stick butter (vegan alternative: 1/2 cup Earth Balance)
1/2 milk (vegan alternative: 1/2 cup almond milk)
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups warm water

  1. Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
  2. In a deep saute pan, over medium heat, combine crumbles, onions and olive oil and saute til crumbles are brown and onions are soft. This may take 5-7 minutes depending on your stove.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix warm water, package mix and tomato paste. Stir into crumble/onion mixture. Let simmer for ten minutes.
  4. Stir in celery, carrots, peas, and salt and let simmer for another ten minutes.
  5. Stir in paprika and garlic salt and let simmer another ten minutes. Then turn off heat and set pot aside.
  6. In a separate pot, immerse the peeled potatoes in water and a dash of salt for 20 minutes, or until potatoes can be easily punctured by a fork.
  7. Drain potatoes and then mash them with a potato masher.
  8. Add butter and milk to the potatoes, and then continue mashing.
  9. Pour meat mixture into a 9x13 Pyrex pan and then cover with mashed potatoes. Stick in oven for 20 minutes, or until edges are slightly brown.
Serves 4-5.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, however, I must disagree with the "assumption" that many meat dishes can no longer be in your diet. Even though John and I eat only bison instead of beef, I only use 1/2 lb of ground meat in all such dishes, i.e. chili, shepherd's pie, stroganoff, spaghetti, lasagna, etc..... I could very easily eliminate the meat altogether and it would still taste great if I used lots of great veggies........especially organic veggies. They are so much meatier than non-organic. By the way, Shepheard's Pie is one of our top 3 dishes and I first had it at Verde Mesa in Colorado in 2008.....excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Sandra! Yes, I agree that meat does not have to a staple in those satisfying comfort food dishes, especially if you have organic produce. Speaking of organic veggies, KVK had an interesting story about the nutrition of organic produce in one of her CSA news letters. Perhaps she will blog about it some day, we hope?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can vouch for Heather's veggie shepherd's pie. It's delicious!

    Also, Sandra, I totally agree continuing to eat some meat (especially in small quantities) can be a good move. The stroganoff sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete