Wednesday, December 22, 2010

My First Weekly Cornucopia



Two weeks ago, I joined Arganica, a farm club that delivers local and organic produce right to my door. Last Saturday I received my first box, and it was chock-full of goodies, including some things I had never seen before. One of these new vegetables was kohlrabi, which I had heard of, but never seen before. I had to look it up myself. That is probably the first and only downside to this farm club (as opposed to a CSA), that being they don’t let you know what’s in the box, so it’s a bit of guessing game. Also, I didn’t know that kohlrabi had to be refrigerated, so it went bad before I could use it. Good thing Arganica also has a compost service. But with most produce delivery, there is always some trial and error. It’s a learning process.

The upside to this farm club (as opposed to a CSA) is that you can add on all sorts of different vegetables, grains, dairy products, etc., to your produce box. I ordered kale, milk and eggs on top of my produce box. Everything was fresh and top quality, and last night I used many of my vegetables to make what I like to call “Super Curry Stew.” It’s called “super” because many of the vegetables used are Super Foods. So here is the recipe:

Super Curry Stew

¼ cup Olive Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
10 mushrooms, sliced
3 leaves kale, stems removed and cut into strips
10 red potatoes, diced
1 medium sweet potato, diced
2 cans lite coconut milk
2 cans massaman curry paste (or other curry of your choosing)
½ tsp curry powder
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp graham marsala

1)  In a medium pot, sauté the oil, onions, mushrooms and kale until onions are soft and brown.
2)  Slowly add coconut milk and then the curry paste. Stir until the stew is an even brownish-red color.
3)  Add all potatoes and spices, stir and let simmer until potatoes are soft.
4)  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment